Once you have installed Screencastify, pinned the extension to your browser, connected your account with Google Drive, and set up your microphone and webcam, you are ready to begin creating your first video!
When creating a recording you can:
Starting a recording
To begin a Screencastify recording, click the Screencastify icon next to the puzzle piece. (If you can't see that icon, click here.)
- Choose what you want to record: your Browser Tab, entire Desktop, or Webcam Only
- To capture your voice, turn on the toggle next to "Microphone."
- To capture your face, use a webcam recording or turn on the toggle next to "Embed Webcam."
- You can also Embed Your Webcam into a Recording if you'd like!
- Click on "Show more options" to choose additional settings for your recording.
- To change the countdown length, click on the drop-down menu. You can choose a 3, 5, or 10-second countdown, or turn the countdown off by disabling the toggle.
- To use drawing and annotation tools, enable the toggle next to "Show Drawing Tools." (The option is only available in Browser Tab and Desktop recordings.)
- To capture audio from a browser tab, like YouTube or Google Meet, enable the toggle next to "Tab Audio." (This option is only available in Browser Tab recordings.)
- To capture audio from an application, like PowerPoint or Windows Media Player, enable the toggle next to "System Audio." (This option is only available in Desktop recordings and only on Windows computers and Chromebooks.)
- Click the blue "Record" button. You'll see and hear a countdown if you have one enabled, and then your recording will begin.
When Screencastify is recording, a red dot will appear in your extension icon.
Ending a Recording
To end a recording, click the extension icon again (or use a keyboard shortcut) and click the stop button.
You can also pause and resume a recording.
When you end a recording, you will automatically be taken to the recording's Video Management Page, where you can edit, save and share your recording.