Once you have signed into your Submit Dashboard, you're ready to create your first assignment! Click the blue "New Assignment" button in the top left to create your first assignment.
For each assignment, you will:
- select a recording type,
- name your assignment,
- configure your settings, and
- make your assignment live.
Step One: Select a recording type
What type of video do you want people to submit to you? (Here's the difference between these two types of assignments.)
- Screen + Webcam recording: The video will record the screen with an embedded webcam and the microphone. These assignments are available for all devices.
- Webcam recording only: The video will record the webcam and microphone. These assignments are available for all devices.
- Screen recording only: The video will record the screen and microphone. These assignments are only available from desktop versions of Chrome (desktop computers, laptops, or Chromebooks); mobile devices cannot yet record a screen.
Step Two: Name your assignment
This will be visible to people who visit your link and create a recording.
- Create a title: We will create a folder in your Google Drive with the same title to collect all of the videos.
- Add some instructions: These instructions will be displayed for people who visit your link. You can insert a link to a video, a website, an audio clip, or anything else you would like people to access while creating their videos.
Step Three: Configure your settings
- Assignment access:
- If you want anyone who has the link to be able to create and submit a video, choose "Anyone with the link."
- If you want to limit who can access the link to create a video, choose "Anyone in my organization" and check that the Allowed email domains match you and your students' email domains.
- Video privacy:
- If you don't want anyone to view the videos except for you, choose "Students cannot view any videos." When students are done recording, they will not have any options to download or use the videos they have created.
- If you want students to be able to use their own videos to upload to Google Drive, Canvas, or Schoology, for example, choose "Students can view their own video."
- If you want students to see one another's videos after they have created one, choose "Students can view all videos" and students will see an option to view other submissions when they have created a video.
- Email notifications.
- If you do not want to receive an email when a video is submitted, turn this notification off.
- If you want an email each time you receive a video for this assignment, turn this notification on.
Step Four: Your assignment is live 🎉
- Preview the Assignment. Wondering what the assignment will look like for your students? Click the preview button. You can even submit a video to get the whole experience!
- Share the link with your students.
- You can copy the link and paste it anywhere including Canvas, Schoology, BrightSpace, a Google Slide, Padlet, etc.), or
- You can share the link on Google Classroom. You can use the built-in integration to open your Google Classroom account and link this assignment to an assignment, question, announcement, or material.
Prefer to see this all in a video? We're partial to video, too! Check out the whole process on the Screencastify Help YouTube page:
Check out helpful ways to: