You can split your video using Screencastify Editor. This comes in handy if you want to take a long video and deliver them in shorter segments. For example, you just created an hour-long lesson to share with your students. However, you want to be able to share the first 30 minutes in one file and then the last 30 minutes as a separate file.
To split a video in Editor:
You will need to have your video opened in Screencastify Editor
1. Click on the point in your video's timeline to select where you want to split your video.
2. Click on the scissors to split your video in that exact location.
3. Click on the segment you want to delete. You will notice the segment you click on will be highlighted in yellow. You can click on the trash can or use the delete option on your keyboard.
4. Click on "Export" and "Export to Google Drive".
5. You will be prompted to name this new file. Don't worry, your original video will not be deleted.
HELPFUL HINT You may want to rename your shorter file similar to your original file so it makes it easier to find in your Google Drive. For example, if your original file is named "How to Make Key Lime Pie", you can rename the shorter files with the same file name but maybe add "Part 1", "Part 2", etc.
6. Once the video has processed, click the "undo" button. This will bring back the portion of the video you deleted at first and now want to save.
7. Click and delete the other segment you originally had saved. You will now be left with just the portion of your original video that you have yet to save.
8. Click on "Export" and "Export to Google Drive".
9. You will be prompted to name this new file. Again, don't worry, your original video will not be deleted.
10. Go to your Google Drive Screencastify folder and you should see your original video plus the shorter versions you just created!
What's Next? 🧐
Now that you know how to split a video, learn more about how to:
- Zoom Into a Clip
- Blur Sensitive Information
- Save an edited video
- Cut and rearrange clips, and
- Crop videos in the Editor