Students won't need a Screencastify account or the Screencastify extension installed to make a video. They'll use their school Google account to sign in and record 🚀.
Once they log in, they'll turn on their mic and webcam, and hit record to start!
Students can access their assignment from Google Classroom, read the directions, hit record, and submit by clicking the "Submit" button. Now, the video is automatically uploaded to their teacher's Google Drive folder. Students can also download the video or share it to Google Classroom.
Once a student submits their video, it'll automatically be saved in your Google Drive in the Screencastify Submit sub-folder with the assignment name. Of course, students can also find their video in the "Shared with Me" section of their Google Drive.
How to download the Chrome browser
If students do not currently have a Chrome browser, they will need to download and install it in order to use Submit.
Install Chrome on Windows
Download the installation file.
- If prompted, click Run or Save.
- If you chose Save, double-click the download to start installing.
- Start Chrome:
- Windows 7: A Chrome window opens once everything is done.
- Windows 8 & 8.1: A welcome dialog appears. Click Next to select your default browser.
- Windows 10: A Chrome window opens after everything is done. You can make Chrome your default browser.
If you've used a different browser, like Internet Explorer or Safari, you can import your settings into Chrome.
Can't install Chrome because of S mode
If you can’t install Chrome on your Windows computer, your computer might be in S mode. If you want to download and install Chrome, learn more about how to exit S mode. You can also learn how to fix problems installing Chrome.
Install Chrome on Mac
Download the installation file.
Open the file called "googlechrome.dmg."
- In the window that opens, find Chrome
- Drag Chrome to the Applications folder.
- You might be asked to enter the admin password.
- If you don't know the admin password, drag Chrome to a place on your computer where you can make edits, like your desktop.
- Open Chrome.
- Open Finder.
- In the sidebar, to the right of Google Chrome, click Eject
Google Chrome will be added to your software manager so it stays up-to-date.
Video for Students
Need a video to share with your students as they're getting started with Submit? Use this one! 😄
Having Students Submit a Reflection with their Screencastify Submit Video
Students can share videos and documents (or other files) to Google Classroom. This means that you can ask students to create a reflection or transcript of their video to also turn in with their Screencastify Submit video!
Sharing a video to Google Classroom
To share a Submit video to Google Classroom, students:
- Click on "Share video to Classroom"
- Choose class
- Choose assignment
- Click "Go"
- Click "Attach"
- Click "View Assignment"
But, students can also add additional files to their Google Classroom assignments!
Adding additional files to assignment
To share a Google Doc (or other file) with a reflection or transcript of the video, students:
- Click on "Add or create"
- Click on "Docs"
- Type (or copy and paste) the reflection or transcript
- Go back to the Google Classroom tab
- Click "Turn in"
Now, a student has turned in both a Screencastify Submit video and a written reflection or transcript!