If you want Screencastify to capture only the current browser tab, you can choose a tab recording. When you record a browser tab, you'll also be able to use all of our annotation tools.
Our annotation tools (draw with pen, spotlight mouse, etc.) are available for both tab and desktop recordings, however they only work on Chrome tabs.
Grant tab recording permissions
When you set up Screencastify the first time, you'll be asked to allow tab permissions. These permissions allow Screencastify to capture what is in your browser tab and enable the annotation tools. You'll only need to grant these permissions once.
Screencastify never monitors or stores your browsing data.
Start a tab recording
- Click the extension icon to open up the Recording Control Panel
- Select the Browser Tab option
- To narrate over your recording with your microphone, enable "Microphone" and choose your audio device. The soundbar next to the microphone icon will light up if it is successfully detecting sound. If it's not, click here to troubleshoot audio issues.
- To embed your webcam into a corner of your recording, enable "Embed Webcam" and select your camera.
- To include audio that originates from within the browser tab (i.e. a video or song), click Show more options and enable "Tab Audio".
- Click "Record Tab". A countdown will begin and then Screencastify will begin recording!
When Screencastify is recording, a red dot will appear in the extension's icon:
TIP If you choose to embed your webcam, you can toggle the embedded webcam on and off during the recording using the webcam button in the toolbar.
The Keyboard Shortcuts are Option+C for PC and Option+W for Mac
When your tab recording begins, you'll see a black toolbar appear in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen. These control your annotation tools. Click here to learn more about them.
End a tab recording
When you're finished recording, click the Screencastify extension icon and click the stop button. You'll then be taken to the Video Page, where you can edit and share your recording.
TIP The Keyboard Shortcuts are Alt + Shift + R for PC and Option + Shift + R for Mac
Prefer to see this all in a video? We're partial to video, too! 😁 Check out the whole process on the Screencastify Help YouTube page: