If you happen to see an "oops" internal error pop-up ("oops, you have encountered a system error") while in either Record or the Editor - this can usually signify something may have gone wrong while recording, or in the process of editing.
Sometimes you may even see this while trying to import a recording into the editor.
Here are a few potentially more common pop-up errors that can be troubleshooted a few different ways:
- If you come across an "oops" error when importing into the editor
- If you come across an "oops" error while trying to export
- If you come across an "oops" error while trying to Record
Oops while importing a video into the Editor:
This issue has been popping up here and there amongst users and we have typically been able to solve the issue by converting the file you are attempting to import. We recommend that you convert your files to MP4s on this site https://cloudconvert.com/, and that should solve things for you!
If this doesn't help the issue you are seeing, additionally, would you be able to let the support team know the approximate time you were attempting to import the video and also confirm the email address you are logged into the editor with? Our engineers can use this information to see if there are any logs on the back end that can point to why this could be happening.
Please reach out to us, so we can help dive deeper into what could be causing this with you! 🤓
Oops while attempting to export from the Editor:
If you run into an oops pop up when attempting to export, do you mind trying a few additional things to see if that helps with the processing issue that you're seeing?
- Can you refresh your screen and see if you're able to export successfully then?
- To hard refresh Chrome on Windows: Hold down Ctrl and press the reload button or F5
- To hard refresh Chrome on Mac: Hold down Shift and press the reload button, or hold down Command, Shift, and press the 'R' key
- If not, can you please sign out and sign back into the Editor and see if that helps? To see a quick GIF on how to sign out, please see below:
- From the editor, click on the hamburger 🍔 menu on the left hand top corner.
- Next you will want to scroll all the way down on the menu and click sign out.
- After that you will resync with your google drive and signing in with Google.
- You will see your video still in the editor timeline once you sign back in.
3. Can you also be sure to clear your cache and cookies?
- Copy + Paste (You can copy and paste chrome://settings/clearBrowserData into a Chrome tab and click Clear data.)
- Next you will want to make sure browsing history, cookies and other site data, and cached images and files are selected - once selected, click on clear date.
4. Can you please try exporting using the opposite option? (Google Drive vs. MP4)
If you come across an oops when trying to record
Here's some initial refresh troubleshooting suggestions to try out (repeating a few suggestions above ⬆️ )
Updating your extension:
- Ensure that you are using the most recent version by updating the extension.
- Here’s a short article and video that walks you through how to do that.
As well as:
- Clear cache and cookies
- Sign out and sign back in
- Try un-installing the extension and then re-installing.
(WARNING: if you save your recordings locally and not to your Google Drive, they will be permanently deleted when you uninstall Screencastify. Export them first.)
What's Next? 💻
Are you still having trouble after trying each of these steps? Please reach out to us and provide your email, we can help dive deeper into what could be causing this! 🤓