There are a few ways that you can use Screencastify Submit with Google Classroom. One of the easiest ways is to create a new assignment in Submit.
Create an Assignment in Submit
- Go to your Submit Dashboard and click "New Assignment" to create a new assignment. (Click here for more help on creating new assignments.)
- Give it a title, and instructions, and click "Next."
- Choose to capture the students' screens or webcams, whether you want to receive an email notification for each video, and whether students should be able to see each other's videos. Click "Next."
- Copy the link, or share it directly to Google Classroom by clicking on the Google Classroom button.
Finalize the Assignment in Google Classroom
- Choose the class, click "Create Assignment" and click "Go"
- The title from the Submit Assignment is already included. Add any additional instructions, choose a due date, and click "Assign."
- Now the assignment is posted to the class. Click on "View" to see the assignment posted in the course stream.
Students Complete the Assignment
- After clicking on the Submit assignment link, students click "Record" and instantly begin recording. (Click here to see what this looks like as a student.)
- When they are finished, they hit "Stop Recording" and review the video by clicking the play button to watch it.
- If students don't like their video, they click "Start Over" or click "Submit" to send the video to the teachers.
- Students can also share the video directly to Google Classroom by clicking "Share video to Classroom."
- Students can choose their class, and the assignment, click "Go," "Attach," and "View the Assignment."
- The video they recorded with Screencastify Submit is ready! Students click "Turn In" and click "Turn in" again to send the video to their teacher.
View the Student's Video
From the teacher's point of view, they can now see that a video has been submitted to Google Classroom.
- Teachers can click on that video and watch what the student recorded.
- Teachers can provide a grade and comments to the student for their video.
Having Students Submit a Reflection with their Screencastify Submit Video
Students can share videos and documents (or other files) to Google Classroom. This means that you can ask students to create a reflection or transcript of their video to also turn in with their Screencastify Submit video!
Sharing a video to Google Classroom
To share a Submit video to Google Classroom, students:
- Click on "Share video to Classroom"
- Choose class
- Choose assignment
- Click "Go"
- Click "Attach"
- Click "View Assignment"
But, students can also add additional files to their Google Classroom assignments!
Adding additional files to assignment
To share a Google Doc (or another file) with a reflection or transcript of the video, students:
- Click on "Add or create"
- Click on "Docs"
- Type (or copy and paste) the reflection or transcript
- Go back to the Google Classroom tab
- Click "Turn in"
Now, a student has turned in both a Screencastify Submit video and a written reflection or transcript!
Share in a Google Slide
With Screencastify Submit, a teacher can give students both an assignment link to record a video and a link to the folder of videos for them to view at any time.
- Create a Google slide with two links - the first for the assignment and the second for the folder of videos
- To get a link to the Submit assignment, copy and paste that link from the Submit dashboard into the Google Slide
- To get a link to the subfolder of videos, click on the submissions link to open the Submit subfolder. Right-click on the subfolder to grant permission for all students to view videos. Copy and paste that link into the Google Slide.