If you don’t hear any microphone audio in your recordings, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot and fix the issue.
If you don't hear your computer's audio (like a video), make sure you have Tab or System Audio enabled.
Step 1: Make sure that the right microphone is enabled before recording
Prior to recording, toggle on “Microphone”. Make sure that the correct microphone is selected in the drop down menu (e.g. your computer’s default internal microphone, an external microphone, etc.).
If Screencastify is properly detecting sound from your microphone, the bar next to the icon will light up as you speak into it. If it is, Screencastify should successfully capture audio when you record.
If the sound bar is not lighting up, please move on to the next step.
Step 2: Check if Chrome is able to detect your microphone
- Visit this website, which will show activity when you speak into your microphone if Chrome is functioning properly
- If sound is detected successfully, please move on to Step 4
- If sound is not detected on that website, it means that your Chrome browser is unable to access it. Restart Chrome and try again.
- If the problem persists, restart your computer and try to record it again.
- If Chrome is still unable to detect your microphone you can read more about Chrome permissions here.
If sound is now detected, return to Screencastify and attempt recording with "Microphone" enabled again.
If sound is still not detected, move on to the next step.
Step 3: Check your device's sound settings
The next step is to check your device’s sound settings to make sure that your microphone is (1) enabled and (2) unmuted. The instructions for this depends on your operating system.
- Check sound settings for Mac OS X
- Check sound settings for Windows 10 | 8 | 7 | Vista | XP
- Check sound settings for Chrome OS
- Check sound settings on Ubuntu (Linux)
If everything in your system audio settings looks good, please move on to the next step.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall Screencastify
Click here for instructions on how to uninstall Screencastify.
WARNING: If you save your recordings locally (and not to your Google Drive), they will be permanently deleted when you uninstall Screencastify. Please be sure to export them before you proceed.