In some cases, Screencastify might fail to start recording if it can't capture audio from your microphone. You may be able to record immediately if you disable your microphone, but if you'd like to use your microphone please try the following actions:
- If you're using an external microphone or headphones, unplug them and plug them in again
- Make sure that no other applications are currently accessing your microphone
- If Screencastify detects multiple microphones, try selecting a different one
- Test your microphone at https://www.onlinemictest.com/ - if you can get your microphone to work on this site, it will likely work when you record with Screencastify
- Restart your computer and try again
- Uninstall and reinstall Screencastify (WARNING: if you save your recordings locally and not to your Google Drive, they will be permanently deleted when you uninstall Screencastify. Export them first.)
If you have followed the above steps and still receive the "Failed to capture audio" error message, submit your logs to customer support. Please indicate that you've already tried the solutions above and provide as much detail as possible.