If you want Screencastify to capture only the current browser tab you are on, you can choose a tab recording.
If you are starting a tab recording for the first time, you will want to first:
Grant tab recording permissions:
When you set up Screencastify the first time, you'll be asked to allow tab permissions. These permissions allow Screencastify to capture what is in your browser tab and enable the annotation tools. You'll only need to grant these permissions once.
Screencastify never monitors or stores your browsing data.
Browser tab recordings are ideal for mac users.
Due to system limitations imposed by Apple, it's impossible to record system audio on Mac's. 😔 However, you can still record your tab audio to capture the audio emanating from a specific tab.
To start a tab recording:
- Click the extension icon to open up the Recording Control Panel
- Select the Browser Tab option :
- If you want to hear your voice in your recording, enable "Microphone" and choose your audio device. The sound bar next to the microphone icon will light up if it is successfully detecting sound. If it's not, click here to troubleshoot audio issues.
- If you'd like to embed a webcam into your recording, enable "Embed Webcam" and select your camera.
- To include audio that originates from within the browser tab (i.e. a YouTube video or song), click Show more options and enable "Tab Audio".
- Click "Record Tab". A countdown will begin and then Screencastify will begin recording!
If you chose to enable your 'Show Drawing Tools' by toggling to pink:
When your tab recording begins, you'll see a black toolbar appear in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen. These are your annotation tools. Click here to learn more about them.
To end a tab recording:
When you're finished recording, click the Screencastify extension icon and click the stop button. You'll then be taken to your Video Documentation Page, where you can edit and share your recording.
Prefer to see this all in a video? We're partial to video, too! 😁 Check out the whole process on the Screencastify Help YouTube page: